- Domestic Violence Shelter Manager
- On-Call Emergency Shelter Domestic Violence Advocate
- Community-Based Legal Advocate - Pierce County
- In-Home Caregiver
- In-Home Caregiver - Kitsap County Open Positions
- In-Home Caregiver - King County Open Positions
- In Home Care Supervisor - Pierce County (Korean Speaking)
- In Home Care Supervisor - Thurston County (Korean Speaking)
- Job Application
COMMUNITY-BASED LEGAL ADVOCATE
2. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· The Community-based legal advocate will:
70% Community-based & Legal Advocacy
Provide general information and education on DV/SA related issues,
community referral information, legal referral information and assist in the
filing of protection orders. The advocate will meet with all clients to maximize
safety and assess their needs. The advocate will provide the program
coordinator with monthly statistical reports. The advocate will also attend
weekly case management meetings and monthly staff meetings.
15% Helpline calls, screenings and intakes
The advocate will provide phone support, assessment, and screening for
services. This includes documenting all phone inquiries, completing
screening tool, determination of client needs, arranging for the provision of
community, legal, or shelter services, and providing training to other staff
members on the helpline.
15% Outreach and Education
The advocate will make connections within the community and provide
presentations to support groups, local services agencies, local businesses,
schools, and civic groups on the topics of DV and SA.
3. Position Requirements
· English/Korean bilingual required – fluency in written and spoken forms;
· Completion of initial 20-30 DV advocacy training;
· Complete a minimum of 30 hours continued training per year thereafter;
· Understands the dynamics of DV and SA especially within immigrant communities;
· Ability to drive to different KWA office locations; has own vehicle; and
· Satisfactorily pass criminal history check.
4. Competencies and Qualifications
· Proficient in MS Office Suite, e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.
· Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
· Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
· Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
· Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
· Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
· Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
· Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences.
· Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
· Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
· Motivation - Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
· Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Sets goals and objectives.
· Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
· Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
· Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
· Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly; maintains confidentiality.
· Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
· Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
· Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
· Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
4.1 Educational Level
o Must have High School Diploma; and
o Some college or AA degree (any humanities discipline) preferred.
4.2 Experience in Related Field
o Some experience in social or human services preferred; and
o Public Speaking Skills preferred.
4. Working Conditions
1. Environmental parameters:
a. Ability to work in an office environment;
b. Ability to drive to different locations; and
c. Ability to work and present standing up.
2. Physical demands:
a. Type: sedentary work ability to perform administrative duties, typing, filing, bending over to low files, reaching high files; sitting and traveling by car to outreach locations.
b. Ability to exert up to 15 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move an object (e.g., outreach materials).
c. Work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking and standing and driving for extended periods of time.
5. Work Schedule
1. Ability to work 40 hour week including some nights, weekends, and overnights.
6. Aptitude Requirements
a. Ability to apply principles of logical thinking, to define problems;
b. Ability to collect data and present it in appropriate manner;
c. Ability to establish facts and draw valid conclusions;
d. Ability to solve practical problems; and
e. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagrammatic or schedule form.
a. Ability to read, write, speak, understand or communicate in English and in Korean sufficiently to perform the duties of the position;
b. Ability to record and deliver information;
c. Ability to speak distinctly and listen carefully in order to communicate effectively on all levels;
d. Ability to draft work related documents;
e. Ability to log in data and draft data summaries;
f. Ability to answer inquiries from external customers;
g. Ability to converse with disgruntled people and the general public; and
h. Ability to follow rules and policies of the company.
3. Administrative Detail:
a. Ability to complete forms; record and locate data accurately; and
b. Ability to pay close attention to detail and accurately distinguish data.
1. Motor Coordination:
a. Ability to accurately reach, feel or handle equipment used in daily routine.
2. Finger dexterity:
a. Ability to pick, pinch or otherwise work with fingers to operate above equipment.
3. Manual dexterity:
a. Ability to seize, hold, grasp, turn or otherwise work with hands to operate above equipment.
1. Near Vision:
a. Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less.
2. Mid-range Vision:
a. Clarity of vision at distance of more than 20 inches and less than 20 feet.
3. Far-range Vision:
a. Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more.
NOTE: The requirements for this position are indicative of the physical and mental capacities needed to satisfactorily perform the duties for the position. Reasonable accommodations, as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act will be granted wherever possible.
The above job description is not comprehensive. The job responsibilities may include other duties. This job description also does not constitute an employment agreement between KWA and the employee. KWA may change the job duties as it determines to be necessary or useful to meet its needs.