Domestic Violence Emergency Shelter & Victim ServicesThe We Are Family Program provides prevention and intervention services to women and children who are victims of domestic violence and sexual abuse. The program began in 1972 as KWA’s first volunteer effort, a domestic violence support group.
Since then, KWA has expanded the program to provide services including counseling, bilingual support groups, family education programs, legal advocacy and assistance with court hearings, restraining orders, law enforcement reports, transitional/permanent housing and an emergency shelter.
One past client who suffered extreme abuse comments about her time at the emergency shelter. “It is a wonderful blessing to be able to be here, to go to classes like support group, and to have their understanding.”
Victim ServicesOur domestic violence victim program offers the following services to all eligible residents of Pierce County.
- A safe shelter to live in for up to two months
- Outreach activities in the communities using bilingual workers to increase an awareness and understanding of domestic violence and how it impacts families
- Family education sessions that are culturally appropriate to address parenting issues in order to achieve violence-free homes
- A focus on youth support through social networking and education
- Bilingual counseling and advocacy for individuals as well as their families
- Referrals for assistance and resources for immediate needs
- Support group for sexual assault victims
KWA’s confidential emergency shelter provides 19 beds for women and children victims of domestic violence and sexual abuse for up to four months, serving over 100 clients and 15,700 meals annually.
For more information, please call 253-535-4202 or 253-535-2731 or toll-free 1-888-508-2780.
Other Resource and Shelters
National Domestic Violence Hotline - 1-800-799-7233
Pierce County Domestic Violence Hotline - 253-798-4166
YWCA Women's Shelter - 253-383-3263
Family Renewal Shelter - 253-475-9010